Thursday, June 26, 2008

Things I learned yesterday.



Apparently, the state of Wisconsin has a law that all "emergency vehicles" (including all state-owned and county-owned ones, including - and this is where it gets tricky - big mowers) have special status on the highways. So you have to either move into the other lane to give them room if they're stopped (or mowing) along the highway, or slow way down. I, dasterdly criminal that I am, actually neglected to change lanes when someone was cutting the grass at the side of the highway. Luckily, a sharp-eyed member of the Wisconsin highway patrol was there to save the day! He was really nice about it, and just let me off with a warning. But, noticing that my driver's licence was from Montana and my car was registered in Illinois, he asked whether it was a rental vehicle. I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking whether there is, in fact, a rental company that specializes in 5 year old Subuarus with lefty bumper stickers on the back - because if so, I'm so going with them the next time I need a rental car.

I said no, that I was a student in Illinois, but from Montana. Having already decided to give me the nice white girl discount, he didn't upgrade my warning, but noted nicely that I should really get that taken care of. He didn't ask how long I'd been "a student" in Illinois, which was lucky, because ten years should be enough time for a 30 minute errand at the DMV.

Anyway, Grace let me take her picture during the traffic stop, and the kids were suitably impressed and blessedly quiet during the whole thing, and we drove safely on our way, being careful go give all the mowers the proper respect as we continued.

No comments: