Sunday, August 10, 2008

Moving in, additional chapter(s)

By showing up and asking nicely, I got keys to my office this week. My primary co-worker and I spent a few hours (assisted by our respective kids) moving furniture from a storage area that used to be an elementary school into a hallway outside our office, in order to make a little student lounge. It was fun: we got to sort through various odd items (tractor parts, Christmas decorations, an old sink, a hospital bed) looking for furniture for our area and we ended up loading a few chairs, a love seat, a sofa, some coffee tables, and one fake ficus onto a truck to transport them across campus and up into the elevator to our offices. I snagged a cool chair - turquoise naugahyde with interesting arms - and we settled and arranged until hunger made the kids snappish and we ended our day.


On Saturday, we went to our local farmers' market (see cute and slightly costumed kids) - we got our usual assortment of veggies from our now-favorite vendors, and generally took in the sights; it's a well-attended and cheery market, with lots of local produce and meat, and various booths devoted to handing out pamphlets about native plants and local interest groups. After the farmers market, Mike and the kids and I took a bunch of books out to my office, and I exchanged a slightly depressing print of a Winslow Homer painting for a couple of pen-and-ink drawings of what seemed to be people visiting the college, although I couldn't quite place the buildings. I still need a few boxes of books, but I'm more or less moved in, and have my email account set up, and the kids charmed the womens' soccer team as we walked through campus after unpacking - they were quite the sight, pushing a doll stroller and staying out of the fountain for once and generally looking appealing and innocent.

Up tomorrow: Peter's first day of school!

No comments: