Thursday, June 14, 2007

Something old, something new.



So, the day finally arrived when the window boxes I'd watered too seldom were no longer... alive. In the sense that they were... very dried up and dead. Except for the ornamental cabbages, which had gone to seed, a funky and kind of interesting look which I'm pretty sure I was supposed to... oh, gosh, the cliche is irresistable... nip in the bud. So I dug out the old, dead plants and put in new victims. Petunias, this time, because they're pretty and cheerful. I let the kids pick them out, so we ended up with some specimens that might be less-than-robust, but I'm sure I'll be able to save them with tender loving water, because I am reformed, you hear me?

In fact, in more reassuring news, the plants in the silver pots by the vegetable garden are doing well. I did replace a couple of zinnias, but the coleus and the rest of the zinnias are looking great. The big coleus is looking really mighty for June, such that it may need a bigger pot before the end of the summer. And in my defense, the zinnias in the largest window box are nestled in between some... green stuff... which survived my tender, loving neglect. I know what that green stuff is, I just can't remember right this second. It's alive, and that's what matters, right?

No comments: