Tuesday, July 15, 2008

More pretty flowers

Today I took a break from packing to weed for a couple of hours. There's a visceral pleasure in pulling up weeds, especially maple seedlings. I hadn't weeded either the vegetable garden or the front flower garden in weeks, so it was time well-spent. Grace sat out in the garden with me and read to me from her book on the Titanic, which was very interesting (as well as a great pleasure: she has a nice reading voice and is always willing to stop and answer my questions, plus she shows me all the illustrations.) But we're grieving over having to leave our pretty flowers; they're mostly perennials, so I know they'll be back, and they're mostly low-maintenence, or they'd be dead by now, but it's a bittersweet feeling to look out over what used to be bare ground and see flowers blooming, and then to weed the beds for the last time.

The lilies are about to bloom, and the yucca has formed seedpods.




The purple coneflowers are just starting to bloom, and I think they darken after opening; otherwise these are just a very pale variety.




The black-eyed Susans are opening, too, and they should last at least a month or so.




Finally, Peter took a bath with his toy fishing rod last night - those Wilder genes are really shining through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww, cutie.

arlene,

Port Orchard florist