Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mama runs!

So, total vanity blogging here [wait: is that redundant?], but I ran a 5K this morning to celebrate dissertation doneness, and it was fun. The race was a benefit for the Special Olympics, and it was in Evanston along the lake so it was really pretty. The organizers were really peppy and there were only about 120 runners so it was really friendly. Mike stationed the kids at various points to cheer me on, and took some pictures of the running and the skyline.






editing to add: As I forgot to mention, my time was pretty decent - about 29 minutes (I forgot to take exact note, but they were keeping track, and I think the idea is that they email you, but I don't actually know.) I'd hoped to be in the neighborhood of 30-32 minutes, so I was really pleased. For those not accustomed to this bit of math, 5K is just over 3 miles, so I was running slightly faster than 10 minutes a mile, which ain't too bad for a not-very-athletic mama in her thirties who started running about six months ago after a 15+ year hiatus. I am pleased. :)

No comments: