Saturday, May 26, 2007

Fun with cicadas!





Grace and Peter both have the fantastic quality of being unafraid of insects. They do not get this from their mother. I'm not afraid of cicadas, exactly, I just don't want to touch them, and I lie awake at night envisioning millions of them crawling around our town, screeching, and it makes me a little uncomfortable. Plus the gulls have been gathering in huge flocks to eat them, and they like to perch on the roofline of the community house of the church where Peter goes to preschool. So every drop-off is a little Hitchcockian, and I resent that a bit.
Anyway. The kids. The bugs. The top pictures are of a mature adult; the bottom pictures are of, as Grace puts it, "one of the baaaaaaabies. Aren't they cute?" Ummm..... it's a face only a mama cicada could love. And I am no mama cicada.

No comments: