Thursday, March 18, 2010

Finally, we make savory food...


We use our pasta maker - oh, about twice every ten years, it turns out. I think we'll make pasta more often after yesterday's success, though. Fairly easy to make the dough, although it took me two tries, and then the kids really enjoyed the process of rolling the dough through the machine (a gorgeous hand-crank job that is, as Grace noted, from Italy.)
We filled the pasta with pesto, but could have used something more substantive, like cooked sausage, or maybe cheese, or a cheese/tomato mix, or... you name it. Next time I'd like to make lasagne noodles, since they're easier, and it would be fun to experiment a bit. We found that each ravioli needed to be very firmly tamped around the edges or the pesto leaked out, but about 90% of ours held together nicely. I'd like to try a simple farfalle, but I'm not sure how to get the shape to hold together. (I would guess that google might be able to teach me that little trick, possibly even providing video, since that seems to be how all the cool kids are learning these days.)
Not pictured: our beautiful weather, destined to be short-lived this week since we're expecting snow tomorrow. But spring is headed our way; we can tell by the tulips peeking out, and the snow melting, and the birds taking a gander at the new wreath hanging on our front porch, and the ever-important emergence of the peep-toe shoe from the closet. Also not pictured: mama's haircut, which yesterday was way, way foofy in a somewhat alarming way, but which today has calmed down into a perfectly nice short spring cut.
Next up on the Spring Break Blogging Bonanaza: the outside! and its cool spring tricks of growing stuff, again! And (if I can get good images) the kids' newspaper, which they made under the editing supervision of my beloved workstudy student Brittney, which is so hilarious that I can't do it justice with mere words. Also upcoming: Easter! Including mimosas at brunch, I think, since I have (mostly successfully) given up alcohol for Lent and it has been A Long Damn Month.
Spring. We're ready.













No comments: