Monday, June 1, 2009

Peonies in bloom...











Our peonies finally did their thing this week, answering the ten-months' mystery of what color they would be. (White in the front yard, lovely pale pink in the back, which works with the pink/blue/purple floral scheme I'm slowly phasing in for the front yard.)
We've technically got three different plantings of peonies, but one of them put out only one bloom this year, a sure sign that it's unhappy, so I'll transplant the whole cluster of plants in the fall to the front yard, where hopefully the sun will make them happier. I know they take a few years to really get settled, but it seems like the best idea.
We've also got our hydrangias doing well, a ton of salvia (which had one of my students asking hopefully whether it was the, ahem, medicinal kind, to which I replied that sadly, I think it is not), and a whole yardful of purple coneflowers. I transplanted some of the latter today from various places in the backyard to the front, around the mailbox. The neighbor from the most yard-conscious family in our circle gave me a cheerful wave and a big thumbs-up when she saw me getting started with the mailbox garden, which I took for a good sign. It looks fairly wilted now, but I'm hoping that's just transplant shock. I dug the coneflower up from around the nice iris bed in the back, freeing up quite a bit of space and light for the iris, and then added in a couple of iris that had been mis-located next to especially expansive shrubs. So, to recap: peonies... mostly good! iris... mostly good! coneflower... everywhere, and pretty good!




No comments: