Wednesday, May 27, 2009

In which Mama learns to use a socket wrench.


We are in the thick of our irises... the first blooms were a really deep purple, and now we're getting at least three more varieties, including some that I haven't seen before, with really slender leaves and small blossoms. They are so beautiful; I'm going to divide them in the fall and plant more in a wider variety of colors since they do so well.
Today was also the day of finally buying the garden arch I've been wanting more or less since we first bought our last house. The problem there was that while I knew they existed in the world, I didn't know precisely where to get one retail. Last summer after we moved, I noticed a gas station parking lot that had all this garden stuff - planters and trellises and arches and tables and chairs and things beyond mention, mostly metal. I didn't ever venture over, but this spring I stopped and scoped things out a bit. Mike and I and the kids, in a variety of combinations, have been by there probably half a dozen times, mostly when they're closed or we have the wrong car to accomodate any cool garden structures. Because, and I must just be brutally honest here, I really, really wanted a wrought iron arch. I lobbied for an otherwise meh house because it had one, although ironically the eventual owners took it out and put in a gate, which you have to admit is a reasonable enough choice, although I wish I'd been driving by when they took it out, so I could have just gotten one for free, assuming they would have agreed. But. Anyway. Digression aside: I ended up choosing one that was much different than the others I'd admired, but it's lovely, with delicate metal butterflies and flowers, and really beautiful shape. Behold! Pictures below.


































No comments: