Wednesday, September 12, 2007

In which mama builds a birdbath.


So Peter and I, we have time on our hands. Today we went to the hardware store (by way of the bike shop, which that's a whole 'nother story for which the visuals are priceless and you should check back for it later) and we noticed this birdbath on clearance. Not this exact one so much as one already put together. But the hardware store folks assured us that they had more, in the back, in boxes, and since we were on foot/bike that made sense to us. After 20 minutes they found one, lugged it out, and handed it over. I juggled the box while begging Peter to slow down already as we went home - he's now faster on bike than I am on foot. Once we got home I dug the thing out and read the directions, which included this priceless bit of advice: "Keep the area free of small children while assembling." Um, sure, buddy. We'll pretend that's a possibility, just like we'll pretend that I know what it means to avoid crossthreading screws. Happily, this bit of garden art is metal, because Peter couldn't resist "helping" me by testing the flight ability of the little bird. (It survived.) He was delighted to take the picture above, in which you can see part of the birdbath. Proof! that I actually assembled it myself. And there's the finished product, which is cute and not even all that wobbly.

No comments: